The Modern Press Office course focuses on practical skills and general up-to-date principles of effective operations of corporate press-office. The course encompasses both successful and limitedly successful sides of corporate experience in this field, covering best practices of domestic and international press-office units.
Students will be presented with must-have set of knowledge of in-house PR-practitioners, as well as current systems of interaction between different PR units on the corporate scale. Based on more than a decade of experience, the course covers best practices of British, American and Russian press offices across ten most known industries, as well as case studies of successful establishment or rebuilding of corporate press offices from the most renown international and Russian companies.
The course also provides general outlook on media and its types with greater emphasis on possible ways of business interaction with them. Major issues and tasks of press-offices in different spheres will also be covered.
The course will cover the following topics:
- General overview of press office tasks and challenges across various industries (4 hours)
- types of press office arrangements
- different approaches to press office operations and perspectives
- Types of media and liaison with them (6 hours)
- types of media: past, present and future
- new media vs traditional media
- media content specifics
- Internal PR duties of press-office, challenges and functionality (10 hours)
- press-office gate-keeping (in-house PR vs outsourcing)
- press-office vs marketing tasks
- management duties in press-office
- international press-office network (organization and coordination on the global scale)
- crisis operation
1. Denis L.Wilcox, Glen T.Cameron. Public Relations: Strategies and Tactics, 10th edition, 2013.
2. Svyazi s obshchestvennost’u. Sostavlenie dokumentov: Teoriya i praktika. (2012). Ed. by L. Minaeva. 2nd edition. Moscow: Aspect Press (in Russian).
3. Dominic A.Infante, Andrew S.Rancer, Deanna F.Womack (2000) Building communication theory. Waveland press, USA.
- Sites of commercial organizations, government agencies and nonprofit organizations.
Homework will be assigned weekly. You will be expected to study the books from the reading list and to analyze various texts. You will also have to write a test, make a 7-minute oral presentation on text theory and prepare a portfolio of PR texts.